A draft of GDL documentation is currently under development.
There were several talks and posters on GDL prepared by the project team:
- talk @ ADASS 2011 by Alain Coulais (no definitive version of the corresponding paper)
- talk @ GHM 2011 by Alain Coulais & Sylwester Arabas
- talk @ FOSDEM 2011 by Sylwester Arabas
- talk/tutorial at The Earth Simulator Center by Alain Coulais, Sylwester Arabas & Takeshi Enomoto
- poster @ EGU 2010 by Sylwester Arabas
- talk @ ADASS 2009 by Alain Coulais
- talk @ RMLL 2007 by Alain Coulais
The ADASS talks have corresponding papers in the ASP Conference Series (and in arXiv), and this is currently the best way to cite GDL:
- Coulais et al. 2012 @ ACP CS 461 (ISBN: 978-1-58381-804-6) (no definitive version of the corresponding paper) ADS link with abstract
- Coulais et al. 2010 @ ACP CS 434 (ISBN: 978-1-58381-748-3) (no definitive version of the corresponding paper) ADS link with abstract
Alain Coulais maintains:
- a mailing list with announces about GDL
- a constantly updated memo about GDL (in French)
- a list of IDL routines versus GDL availability (see also the docs)
Several people prepared scholarly materials using or mentioning GDL:
- A series of lectures on numerical hydrodynamics including ''IDL / GDL Micro-manual and exercises''
- A series of blog posts on GDL (installation, usage, code examples)
- Getting started with GDL by Sven Geier (2006)
- Interactive Data Language Guide by Chris Lowder (2010)
- A course in meteo data processing in GDL by Sylwester Arabas (2009, slides in Polish)
- A course in meteo data processing in GDL by Sylwester Arabas (2008, slides in Polish)
Some uses of GDL were documented by the users:
- article ''Scalelength of disc galaxies'' by Fathi et al. mentioning use of GDL
- article ''Detection of VHE Gamma Radiation from the Pulsar Wind Nebula MSH 15-52 with H.E.S.S.'' by Frank Breitling mentioning use of GDL
- article ''ULySS: A Full Spectrum Fitting Package'' by Koleva et al. mentioning GDL
- article ''On the suspected timing error in WMAP map-making'' by Boudewijn Roukema mentioning use of GDL
- GPU Acceleration of the Scientific Data Analysis Package GDL by A. Jaffey, A. Kobashi and M. C. M. Cheung (AGU poster)
- Online data analysis using Web GDL by Jaffey, A., Cheung, M. & Kobashi, A. (AGU abstract)
- HEALPix Facility Installation Guidelines(including a section on GDL compatibility)
- Michele Cappellari IDL (and free GDL) Programs
- The IDL Astronomy Library FAQ (including a note on GDL)
- Using the GNU Data Language (GDL) on Windows in a Cooperative Linux (coLinux) Environment by Merrick Berg (2006)
As GDL is almost 100% compatible to IDL (although not complete as many subroutines are waiting to be implemented), resources for IDL can also be utilized for GDL.
An IDL online tutorial is available at the Scientific Computing and Visualization website.
A (very) quick guide to IDL was written by Chris North.
Robert da Silva maintains the Slug's Guide to IDL.
Mark Piper maintains the The IDL Data Point.